I had a few posts planned for weeks but I just didn’t get around to finish them. But I just had to share this incredibly easy dinner that I made tonight and the boy absolutely loved! It’s so easy to make and super healthy and it’s a great meal for when you have people over! No one will need to know it’s so basic!
The recipe that I made serves 2 hungry hippos with a bit of extra for lunch tomorrow or 4 normal people who already had a starter!
Here’s what you need:
- 2 or 4 smoked fresh trout fillets (you can also use fresh trout or salmon, I’m sure it will taste great although the smokiness gives it a little extra something!)
- 4 garlic cloves (we love garlic so if you’re not a fan, maybe use less haha)
- rosemary (I used fresh but dry rosemary shouldn’t make much of a difference)
- thyme (same as rosemary)
- coriander seeds
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 juice of a lemon
For the salad:
- 120g bulgar wheat ( you can use quinoa or quinoa and bulgar wheat mix as well, but follow the steps on the pack as they might need less water)
- 600ml fresh cold water
- half a cube veg stock (optional)
- half a british round lettuce ( just being picky here as that’s my favourite lettuce of the lot but any lettuce works)
- handfull kale
- handfull rocket
- half large cucumber ( just to give you guys a rough idea of how much cucumber I used, small cucumbers are even better)
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 juice of a lemon
- 2 splashes of maple syrup
Make sure you start with the bulgar wheat as it needs a bit of time to cool down before you mix it up with the greens.
In a pan, add 600ml cold fresh water and 120g bulgar wheat and the veg stock and bring to boil, then cover and leave to simmer for about 15 mins (until all the water is gone). In the meantime, turn on the oven at 180 degrees to warm up.
Add all the herbs and pepper in a pestle and mortar and grind. Crush the garlic (I used a garlic crusher but cutting it in small pieces should work) and mix it in a small bowl with the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Add the herbs and mix well. Put aside.
Sprinkle all the olive oil and herbs mix on your fish and top with lemon juice and some more rosemary and leave in the oven for 20 mins.
When the bulgar wheat is cooked, strain it and leave it to cool down about 15 mins. While you’re waiting for your fish to cook and your bulgar wheat to cool, start prepping the greens. What I do is chop everything in bite size pieces but it’s up to you! Be creative! You can use a spiralizer for the cucumber or leave the lettuce leaves intact. Add a bit of salt and mix well. By this point the bulgar wheat shouldn’t be hot anymore so add it over your greens and mix well. Don’t be afraid to use your hands! Add the lemon, some pepper and maple syrup. Mix some more. Serve in a big bowl so everyone can have as much they want!
While prepping everything, make sure you keep an eye on your fish and check regularly as you don’t want it to be overcooked. It could be ready in 15 mins, really depends how good your oven is. You can use frozen fish as well, just keep it in a bit longer.
That’s all! Super yummy food in 35 minute! Couldn’t have been easier. It’s a great summer dinner and everyone will ask for the recipe.
Let me know if you try it! Hope you guys like it as much as we did!
Love, Sim x